York Minster will host the live screening of a special service from 2.00 to 3.00pm on Tuesday 22 May to mark and reflect on the first anniversary of the Manchester Arena terror attack.
The attack claimed the lives of 22 people and left those of many others changed forever.
The National Service of Commemoration at Manchester Cathedral will welcome a congregation including bereaved families, first responders, city leaders and senior national figures. Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu will be attending the service at Manchester Cathedral.
But in recognition of the fact that the terrible events of 22 May 2017 touched people across the country, and that many of the victims came from across the North of Britain, the service is also being screened at York Minster, Glasgow Cathedral and Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral – giving others the chance to come together in solidarity and prayer.
Sir Richard Leese, Leader of Manchester City Council, said:
“The attack at Manchester Arena last year was an attack on our common humanity. The solidarity, love and support shown across the country and beyond helped us through an incredibly difficult period and demonstrated a collective refusal to give in to hatred and fear. We were incredibly grateful for that and I’m grateful to York Minster for giving people the opportunity to join with us as we reflect on the anniversary.”
The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu said:
“I will be at the service in Manchester on Tuesday, as I was last year, standing alongside the Bishop of Manchester and many other leaders from a great city in shared grief at the loss of so many young lives. We will stand together in shared solidarity and commitment to peace and the wellbeing of all. This is a time for communities to hold together, to care for one another, to respect the privacy of those carrying this grief, and to hold on to the truth that: ‘Love is stronger than hate, light is stronger than darkness, life is stronger than death.’ May God give us his peace and blessing.
The Dean of York, The Very Reverend Dr Vivienne Faull said:
“This will be a very difficult day for the people of Manchester and the many across the north of England who were affected by the attack. It is almost impossible to come to terms with an event so savage, so senseless and so inhumane. For those who lost loved ones or suffered serious injury, the loss and trauma will be life changing and life-long.
“However on this difficult day we will remember with love, those who died. We will remember the courage of those who were first on the scene that night, the selflessness and professionalism of the emergency services and the wonderful response of the city of Manchester to this horrible event. Manchester is a resilient community united in grief but defiant and strong in the face of terror.”
The Lord Mayor of York, Cllr Barbara Boyce, said:
“The inhumane and senseless attack in Manchester last year affected us all either directly or indirectly. York lost two of its citizens and their children were left without parents. This special service gives everyone the opportunity to stand together and to demonstrate that we will continue to show love and compassion to one another and not live in fear of hatred and terror.”